Monday, February 22, 2010

Our Summer Job: Planting Trees

Hello, hello,
I hope you all had a lovely weekend. We had a very nice time at dinner on Saturday night, thank you all for your well wishes. We slept in on Sunday morning and later I spent some time researching trees. Yes, trees (and shrubs). You see, we moved into a house that came with a spectacularly manicured lawn. Perfectly mowed, perfectly mulched, not a blemish in site. I have to say, it drives me absolutely nuts, for a few reasons; one being that I knew we wouldn’t be able to maintain perfection for that long (and of course, we haven’t) and two being that I tend to really like the slightly overgrown, lived in & loved look. Do you know what I mean? Perfectly imperfect, is how I like to think of it. I long for secret gardens and hiding places, little reading nooks, trees to hang swings, bird feeders, a hammock and lanterns from. So, whilst we live in the forest, surrounded by trees, I spent some time looking for the perfect trees for our perfectly green (now green-ish) lawn. Here’s what I found:



President Grevy Lilacs-Royal Blue Clusters, Mcintosh Standard Apple, Nikko Blue Hydrangea, Cherokee Chief Red Flowering Dogwood, Weeping Willow, Bradford Pear, Pink Delight Butterfly Bush (Buddleia)

** all photos from Miller Nurseries

7 comments:

  1. Those trees look beautiful :)

    And I know exactly what you mean by "perfectly imperfect"- I feel exactly the same way♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree! i love that look...the country free spirit garden...yes i know exactly what you mean and i heart that too!
    you're such a doll...thanks for the sweet comments! always a joy to read...
    rosi golan & william fitzsimmons...my newest music crushes...glad you enjoyed!
    xo.
    k

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, lilacs are perfect. I will plant at least one in our garden next spring at the new apartment.
    Apple trees, plum trees, and hydrangeas....Wonderful! Do you have room for a sugar maple? They are so pretty in fall!
    Sharon Lovejoy has so many wonderful garden ideas. I would invest in some of her books!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies!!!:)
    Kat, I really like those two artists. I'm so excited about them and like I said, Damien Rice is one of my favorites.
    Dawn, I will definitely invest in one of Sharon Lovejoy's books. We have a lot of lawn so we need some good ideas:). have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so, so with you. Every garden I've ever created has gone toward the slightly overgrown, brambly aesthetic. I think of it as controlled chaos, and I think it is glorious! The more lilacs the better, in my book . . . and fruit trees and butterfly bushes and hydrangeas. I so think you are heading down the right (garden) path.

    I don't have a garden at the moment, which makes me very sad sometimes. I miss gardening, especially at this time of year as spring begins to tease us. We're hoping to sell our city loft soon and buy a house again so we can muck around in the dirt. Your place sounds like pure joy!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favourite all time bush is a Lilac bush...I grew up with a huge wild hedge of them around our home...the beauty of them will be in my memory forever. I have a small bush right now in my yard and just noticed all the tiny buds coming out..oh and at my wedding those were my flowers. Sigh. Happy sweet day to you. xoxoox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your wonderful blog! So beautiful and love the doggy too.

    xxkelley

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely little notes :).