Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Gravlax With Mustard Dill Sauce

This weekend found me with a terrible cold. I spent a lot of time lying idle on the couch (my ‘sicky couch’, as we’ve so appropriately deemed it) watching the Olympics. It was the perfect time for curling up with tomato soup and…… gravlax. Well, I hadn’t really planned on serving up tomato soup with gravlax, but salmon was on sale at our local grocery store and we’ve been dying to try this recipe. So, tomato soup with a side of gravlax it was.

I have to say that I was hesitant to try this recipe, as I have an irrational (or maybe rational) fear of food poisoning. But thankfully I conquered this fear, as the gravlax was absolutely delicious, especially if you’re salmon lovers like we are. It’s also quite easy to make. Served up on toasted honey grain bread, with some butter, mustard sauce and fresh dill, it goes perfectly with a side of tomato soup:).



GRAVLAX:
2 pounds salmon fillet, without skin (frozen overnight)
2 Tbs salt
2 Tbs sugar
1 tsp coarse ground black pepper
1 bunch fresh dill


Thaw salmon, pat dry. Combine the salt, sugar and pepper and pack firmly onto both sides of the salmon fillet. Sprinkle half the chopped dill onto a sheet of plastic wrap then place the salmon on top of it. Put the remaining dill atop the salmon.
Cover with clear plastic sheet, press by putting another flat bottom container on top with a heavy weight (5-10 pounds) and refrigerate at least 48 hours before eating. Drain excess water twice daily and turn over to evenly marinade.
Slice thin and enjoy with mustard sauce

MUSTARD SAUCE:
1.5 Tbs mild dijon mustard
1.5 Tbs vinegar
1.5 Tbs sugar
0.5 tsp pepper


Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Add finely chopped fresh dill before serving.

5 comments:

  1. Hope you are feeling fit again! Tomato soup is so comforting...we eat it the Susan Branch way, with grilled cheese sandwiches. :)
    Be well,
    kisses Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Printing this NOW! Looks so good, unique, and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks beautiful, Blair...sorry to hear you're not feeling well...soup and grilled cheese...that should help....

    take care and be well, my friend

    sending "get well" love

    kary

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely little notes :).