Friday, January 8, 2010


I’ve been fascinated with the birds that flitter around our yard, so I decided to leave some seed out for them this winter. The first few days I was saddened to find that the birds wanted nothing to do with the feast. Then one day when I was at work, Matt called to tell me that the birds had taken over the yard. Sure enough, when I got home I was delighted to find that our bird feeder was covered with birds of all sizes. Word ended up spreading fast. Unfortunately, the base of the feeder is now hanging by a thread (we’ll have to fix that), but it doesn’t seem to be keeping the birds from snacking. They just huddle together on the snow-covered ground and munch away. Now we get to enjoy our morning coffee while looking out our picture window at the lovely little creatures (as our lovely little indoor monster stares longingly out the window, pawing for us to let her out. Guess you can’t please ‘em all :)).

2 comments:

  1. Hi Blair! I love your blog...found it from the lovely message you left for Dawn (Country Girl) on her post. Looks like we may have things in common. This is a lovely post about your bird table...I try & make sure ours have plenty to eat too,especially as we're having such a hard winter here in the UK. Mixed some bird seed with melted fat & chilled it then put that out for the table feeders...it's going down well! Our little fox terrier Alice stares longingly out at them, much like your Luna! Looking forward to reading more about your life & loves, come visit my blog sometime! Love, Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, aren't bird visitors the best? I always feel so honored when they come and they let me watch them.
    Barbara Webster wrote in one of her books, I think it was Creatures and Contentments, that once she found a very old penny in her bird feeder, as if the birds had offered payment...she wondered how they managed to get it all the way up there.
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely little notes :).