Monday, January 18, 2010

Happy 101!






I was given the opportunity to think of and share a list of 10 things that make me happy. This was actually a fun exercise because for the past few days, I’ve been focusing on things that make me happy, smelling the roses of sorts:). There are so many things that bring me joy, in one way or another, but I’ve captured just a few of them below (small and large :))…..

1. My Husband/ Marriage: I fell in love with him for many reasons, but one of my most favorite things about Matt is that he makes me laugh. Every single day he does or says something silly and he has me laughing even after he’s left the room. He also thinks I’m funny (even during those times when no one else does). Being married to him is the best thing in my life. I don’t usually even think about it because it’s just so natural. Right before we got married I told him that I love being with him because it’s just like being by myself. Had I actually thought about it before I said it, I might have said it more eloquently, but he knew exactly what I meant. I don’t feel like I’m compromising on anything, I just feel that I’m doing what I want to do, with him by my side.

2. Luna: This dog was made for our family. We got her from a local shelter. When we got there, we were faced with about 30 black lab/mix puppies. At first glance, they all looked the same. When I went over to her crate (which she shared with a little white & black polka-dotted male puppy who bit her ears), she pawed at me, as though she was hand-picking me. She uses her mittened-hands all the time as a way of communicating with us and it is just as endearing as it was that first day.

3. Family & Friends: I’m so very fortunate to have such an amazing family. I’ve always been so close to both my mom & dad, though my relationship with each of them has evolved throughout the years. They’re a huge part of my life and I’ve learned so much from them, along with my two lovely brothers and their families. I have a few very close friends who’ve also known me throughout the various stages of my life and we’ve remained close. My life has been shaped by each of these people and it is in part, because of them, that I am who I am.

4. Photographs: I love taking them, documenting my life and the lives of others and being able to replay captured moments, with just the click of a mouse (thanks to fabulous modern-day technology, although there really is nothing like an old photograph with worn edges, showing years of love).

5. Art: All forms of it; music, writing, drawings, paintings, theater, decorating, fashion, movies, poetry. I find comfort and satisfaction in being lost in a painting, a good book or hearing a song that perfectly matches my mood.

6. Good Food/ Wine: Matt and I have recently deemed ourselves as foodies. Whether we’re cooking in (mmmm…. Filet with gorgonzola cheese sauce?) or going out to dinner at one of our favorite local restaurants (going out to dinner on vacation to experience local cuisine also makes my heart skip a few beats:)), eating is such a pleasure. Pairing food with a good wine…..well, that’s the icing on the cake.

7. Plush Slippers & Throws: Though I’m a New England girl (I can brave winters with the best of ‘em;)), I get cold so easily. Even in the summer, you’ll find me curled up on the couch in the evening, under a lovely soft blanket, slippers not far from feet.

8. Gardens/ Harvesting: Having fresh flowers & produce, bringing nature inside, makes me feel calm, at ease. I love the smell of fresh flowers (they seem to smell even better when they’re freshly cut from my garden:)) and I love the taste of the veggies (again, veggies from my garden seem to taste so amazing to me; maybe it’s because I know the time & love that went into growing them).

9. Traveling/ Exploring/ Learning: My life feels more enriched the more I travel. It’s so enjoyable to experience other cultures, forms & styles of life, to see the beauty of places other than home.

10. Coming Home: But then again, it is so good to come home, whether it be after a vacation, a work trip or just an errand run. There really is no place like home:).

Thanks to Dawn from May All Seasons Be Sweet To Thee and Rachel from Mozart’s Girl for sending me the ‘happy award’, forcing me to relax and focus on the little glories of the world. As a recipient of this award, I’m to pass it on to bloggers that make me happy :). Each of the following blogs provide me with a little slice of happiness with each read, so here they are, in no particular order:

1. Amber @ Sunshine Flavored Kisses
2. Dawn @ May All Seasons Be Sweet to Thee
3. Kat @ Kat’s Cradle
4. Heather @ A Day in the Country
5. Koralee @ Bluebird Notes
6. Rachel @ Mozart’s Girl
7. Morwenna @ Bluebells and Butterflies
8. Tracey @ French Larkspur
9. Katie @ Katie Slater Photography
10. Courtney @ Scattering Lupines**

** I seem to not be able to hyperlink the blogs..... if anyone knows how, please feel free to send me a note so that I can direct you to these adorable blogs! I guess I'm still working out the kinks. Thanks:)

7 comments:

  1. I loved your Happy List...sounds alot like mine....

    enjoyed reading this

    i can't link either :-(

    more later
    fondly,
    kary and buddy
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE THIS! Thanks for listing me :)

    First, locate the hyperlink sign in your "New Post" toolbox.

    Then, copy the link you want to link (Computer terms are SO profound!)

    Highlight the text you want to link.

    Click on the Hyperlink Sign.

    Paste the link in the Hyperlink box na dhit "ok." It should be linked!

    That was probably confusing, huh?

    Here is a good tutorial:
    http://coderstalk.blogspot.com/2008/04/how-to-create-hyperlink-on-blogger-post.html

    and here is another:

    http://bloggerfordummies.blogspot.com/2006/03/how-to-make-clickable-link.html

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow..i have to check out this too from scattering lupines...


    thanks for stopping by farmhouse...

    i was wondering what the name of the restaurant was in cambria? I lived there for 27 years..would that be wierd if i knew your friends friend?

    more later
    kary and buddy

    ReplyDelete
  4. did i ever know of it..we lived across the street from the kaperonis's....nick and debbie were our friends and neighbors !!!! everytime time we went into the Brambles, nick and debbie would send us a glass of wine..so nice. as you may know, nick pased away a couple of years ago. i would see him everyday on my walks with buddy.

    I knew ther son Anthony too...would see him everyday as he left for work at the restaurant...

    and The Brambles was my favorite restaurant in Cambria..always went there for my birthday.reminded me of being in new england..all cozy and red with plates on the walls and it sat over a wooded creek...great food too....

    can you believe this..i bet you were friends with one of the kaperonis children..i think there were 5.

    small world....yikes

    more later
    kary and buddy

    ReplyDelete
  5. can you believe it...the kaperoni's lived across the street from Greystone Manor...john and i knew nick and debbie more..the kids were much younger than us...but we lived just kitty corner from the kaperonis's on Oakhurst drive..we moved back to slo in the summer of 2007...tell her john and kary..the ones that walked the red toy poodle named Butterscotch..but we call him Buddy....

    maybe someday we can all meet there for supper..
    you never know...
    and your name is Blair....one more weird thing..that's my maiden name... i have had some other really "6 degress of seperation thingy" going on with dawn at country girl..in fact..were sure we're sisters..... :-)
    more later,
    kary
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh what a very sweet list of your happy thoughts! thank you so much for listing me...i will start to gather my thoughts too to share with you!
    have a happy sunday!
    xo.
    k

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely little notes :).